Monday, January 12, 2009

It's been too long!

Our computer crashed and we are in the process of retreiving our old one from Alex's store and fixing it up so I have not had the opportunity to update anything on here for awhile-sorry. I have so much to add too:-)
Quinn turned a year old on December 7th! I can't believe how fast that year went! With all his presents from his birthday, combined with christmas, we had to convert our dining room into a playroom for him since he can't really go downstairs and play with the big boys just yet:-) He just recently added a new tooth to his collection of teeth, so that makes 8 so far. He still isn't walking, and I have been begging for him to be a late walker and not so early as the other two, but now he's breaking my arm! haha! Just this week he's taking 6 steps at a time, so I'm sure it won't be too long now:-) He now says BALL!
Owen is as ornery as ever! He will be my gray hair maker, I already know. He's also our lover and caretaker. If anyone is hurt, he goes to them and says in a sweet voice, "Shh Shh, it's ok." He is also my little helper and likes everything clean. We were at my parents over the holidays and he put all the toys back in the toybox without being told. It was about 7 o'clock, and Mason wasn't really done playing with train track and wanted to get it back out, but Owen sat on top of the box so he wouldn't mess up his hard work! hahaha! He LOVES to color and he knows the letter F and can count to ten.
Mason has probably done the most changing. Of course, he gets 20 hours a week of ABA therapy. He is getting to be such a big boy! He knows all of his uppercase letters and can spell 16 words just since December! He will tell you that he has two brothers and tell you their names and then spell them for you:-) The word he is trying to figure out how to spell right now is MACHINE, which I'm not really sure where he saw it, but he keeps asking how to spell it. That will be his longest word if he spells it. So far, it's ROCKET! He can recognize the numbers 1-10 also and can write his name now! He has just taken off lately! We are so proud of him! There is only a short 9 months till Kindergarten so we are getting closer and closer. The goal for him is to have him ahead of everyone in class so that will make up for his lack of communication and social skills. We are already thinking that he will probably repeat kindergarten, but most boys do. Of course, that makes Alex happy since he'll be a year older in sports! haha!
We thought December was a busy month, January is just as busy! I have four doctors appts just this week. All three have their library times on Tuesdays. Thursdays Mason will start to go to Special Needs Social Time and Basketball starts on Saturdays. This is all from now till March. That is on top of his 20 hours a week of ABA tutoring, so he is getting into a lot of stuff and hopefully we can get an insight of how kindergarten will be for him. I have to admit, I'm getting nervous! Will the other kids accept him, will the teacher know how to handle him if he is being noncompliant, is he going to know if kids are teasing him, or will he just shutdown in the corner? These questions go through my head everyday as we get nearer to D day as I'm calling it:-) I have a meeting on the 21st to go over what plans we have for Mason this next year. I'm just so happy we are in a place where they have one of the BEST schools in Ohio and seem very helpful and open to his situation.
Oh I forgot, I wanted to share something else. Mason is echolalial, so he quotes and reenacts TV shows and movies he likes. Well, one of his favorite shows is SuperWhy. It's really a great show, he has learned a LOT from that show and WordWorld. Well, he woke up whimpering one night, so I went into his bed and asked him what was wrong. He said "I'm sad, because I'm different." I know he was just quoting an episode of SuperWhy, but my eyes welled up with tears. I don't believe he knows what he was saying and has said it a couple of times since then, but it just broke my heart to hear him say those words. If by different he means, special, talented, intelligent, great personality....then YES he is different. I can't say enough how proud we are of him! He's come so far from a year and a half ago when he only had 20 words to his vocabulary!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelli- I am so proud of you and Alex. You are great parents- the boys are so lucky to have you. Mason is so lucky to have you.... Your efforts show in all of his strides. Don't ever forget that! Miss you and think about you everyday when I look at the kid's awesome pictures!!

Anna Tinnerello

team yeater said...

Thanks Anna! and to think it all started with you!!! :-)